Monday, January 21, 2008

Last Minute Implementations

I had another prospect I've been working with for a while call me up the other day and ask to have us set up their new office. As I've seen before, they need it done in 2 weeks. I just don't understand how someone who is running a real business (and this one is) would be so involved in the planning and building of a new office that they wouldn't think about making sure their system will be set up. To do this right, we need to first assess their needs, quote the equipment, then (after it arrives) set it all up. I mean, I want to help them don't get me wrong, but I can't ask our guys to drop everything to do this because:
  1. We have many other clients to serve that have current contracts
  2. We could have been contacted earlier for this.
  3. They chose a competitor for a hosted solution and have now since realized their folly.

As a salesperson who wants to make the customer happy, it is always difficult to break it to a client that their expectations for cost or timeline are short. On the flip side, you have to be open about it in the first place and explain that you have to consult with others before giving final numbers. That way...if there is a significant difference, you can explain more readily.

No comments: